Friday, January 26, 2007

There's No Business Like Show Business...

I'm seeing "Spamalot" tomorrow. For those of you who don't know, that's the Broadway Musical version of a compendium of Monty Python skits, with music added, based mostly on their movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

I've seen a lot of theater lately. I'm going to see a lot more before I'm done, too. Over Christmas vacation I saw "The Drowsy Chaperone" and "The Little Dog Laughed." I'm seeing four more shows (at least) over the next five months.

I love the theater. So much so that, once upon a time, I was a member in good standing of the Screen Actors Guild, Actors Equity Association and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. That was before alcoholism took my dreams away, and I threw away the tools for achieving my dreams.

I don't know whatever possessed me, but a couple of weeks back I called SAG to find out just what it would take to get back into their good graces [see: "Manna From Heaven" - January 9]. It turns out that all they want is a little letter of explanation as to why I stopped paying them dues 11 years ago... along with a Money Order for $960.00.

Today I sent them a letter explaining what happened (I'm a recovering lush) and enclosed that money order, as requested. Now it's in God's hands and the hands of the Membership Review Committee.

If my petition for reinstatement is accepted my plan is to next approach the membership committees of AEA (Equity) and, finally, AFTRA. It shouldn't cost nearly so much to play "catch-up" with them because SAG is my "parent union" (the 1st acting union I joined). The rules are (or at least were) that once you'd ponied up to join the parent union, you'd only have to cough up half that amount to join each subsequent acting union. And one's quarterly dues were "full-freight to the parent, 1/2 that amount to each subsequent union."

I don't know whatever possessed me to do this. It's not like I'm planning to jump back into show business. I guess it's because I'd just like to be ready... just in case I ever change my mind and decide to do it.

As I said in my letter to the committee, there was a time when I was very proud to be member of the Guild. I'd worked hard to get that membership originally and I'd like nothing more than to be a member, in good standing, once again.

The members of my morning recovery get together all think this is marvelous, and are very excited for me.

God seems to be pushing me in the oddest directions lately. People are cropping up in my life to whom I can be of real service. Other people are cropping up who are being of real service to me.

I'm encouraged and encouraging. I'm loved and loving. I'm needy and needed.

I'm experiencing feelings I never thought, in a million years, I'd ever be capable of experiencing.

It must be getting close to my sobriety anniversary. We drunks start getting bat-shit crazier than usual around that time every year.

Yeah. That must be the answer! (and thank you, God!)

No comments: