Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Boy Toys

Now that I have your attention, this isn't about twenty-something twinkies who latch onto sugar daddies and live out their highly expendable youths, as little more than unpaid courtesans, on Manhattan's fascionable Upper East Side, or in the Silver Lake District of Hollyweird.

It's about electronics. Face it guys, who among us has lost his childlike fascination with all things electrical and/or electronic? Who among us isn't immediately drawn to the consumer electronics section of every department store we enter? To stare, slack-jawed and drooling in wonder, at projection tv's the size of the Big Screen at Radio City Music Hall, wondering which wall at home could be sacrificed to make room for it... if we only had the $9,999.99 needed to drag the 10-ton wonder home with us this afternoon... as soon as we can rent a truck and call our hateful brother-in-law to come help us lug it?

Well, I don't have such a tv (yet), but I got something nearly as good. FedEx has delivered the must-have toy of the 21st Century, my brand new cellphone. It's actually quite daunting, fishing through the box full of accessories that came with it. I'm sure it'll take me at least 11 of the 15 days grace period I have to return the phone just to learn how to use it.

I don't know why, but I suddenly feel a little more grown up.

I'll let you know if I decide to keep it.

No comments: