Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Prisoner of Zenda

Day Two of being "on call" for jury duty and I've yet to be summoned to the Imperial Court in beautiful downtown Trenton (pronounced "Treton" by the locals).

Which, perversely, has worked WONDERS on my efforts to whiz through Season Two of "Lost." I polished off five episodes today. It was either that or "The View" and "Oprah." And I'd rather slit my wrists than watch either of those.

When I called the check-in number last Friday I was released for yesterday. So I went to work. Then, yesterday when I called the check-in number again, the recording said that I was free for this morning but had to be on-call for the afternoon session and that I should call again "after 11:30" to see I would be needed. Sooooo, I called at 11:30 and was released for today. By then it was too late to go to work and too hot to do anything of interest on a weekday, so I watched "Lost."

I called again after five and was informed that they would like to see me (and potential jurors numbered 0700 through 1500) at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow. So, first thing in the morning I'm off to the Emerald City, or whatever they call it, to do my civic duty by sitting around in a stuffy jury pool room with a couple of hundred other "invited guests" of the state, for mind-numbing hour after mind-numbing hour of sheer boredom, punctuated by moments of start raving insanity.

By five p.m. tomorrow I'm sure we'll ALL be candidates for anger management classes. I already am, and I haven't even been there yet!

Sigh.

I thought I was through with all this civic duty crap when I finished up my four year enlistment in the Navy a hundred bajillion years ago.

Still, there is one thing I know... if I ever found myself on "that side" of the law again, I would desperately hope and pray that I could get a jury composed of people just like me.

Because I am eminently qualified to determine which side has the best lawyers.

No comments: