Saturday, May 12, 2007

Movin' On....



My friend Bev was wondering where she'd sleep when she came to visit. I told her she'd be in the guest room because it has "Verizon FIOS 25mbs ultra-high-speed, wide-bandwidth, internet access." Oh, yeah, and there's a couch for her to sleep on. She hates beds.

So, this is the guest room in the paint-job condo. Notice that the current owners have a couch and TWO (count 'em, TWO) computer workstations.

I joked with Bev years ago that even if we were in the same room we'd have to have two laptops and ethernet connections in order to communicate because we were much better at it in e-mail than we actually were in person.

Not to disappoint anyone, but I've made up my mind not to put a bid on the paint-job condo. That close proximity to the community pool, I decided, was actually a disadvantage in the summer because I've no doubt that there'll be poolside cocktail parties every night until all-hours whereas I'm in bed by 9:30 p.m. on weeknights in order to get up at the crack of dawn for my daily commute to Manhattan. And the master bedroom windows overlook the pool.

No thanks.

But this apartment was just the beginning. I've come to hate where I'm living, but I didn't even realize it. I moved in here the month after 9/11 in 2001. It was supposed to be a stop-gap measure and it's served it's purpose. I don't have too much privacy due to the weird layout of the house and my landlady is a busybody who flies out her door to check on everybody I invite over. And lately she's been tacking on hidden "surcharges" to the monthly rent. This past winter she started leaving the heating bill on the steps every month with a note asking if I "could help with this?" The first one was over $500.00. I gave 'em a check for a third of it. I don't mind, but there was no discussion in advance about it. Just a presentation of the bill along with the assumption that I had some sort of obligation to pay some of it, even though we'd never talked about it.

I hate that.

So, given my current rent PLUS the sudden utility surcharges, I realized that the total was coming close to a monthly mortgage payment and I might as well be building up some equity and so it goes.

It's another beautiful day in Paradise (New Jersey). I hope it's a beautiful day wherever you are!

Peace!

2 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Well, easy come, easy go. Now that you're giving up on this condo, might I suggest someplace that is wired for wi fi...I really might come for a visit. (It's all about me, you know)

(I just love reading about your excitement looking for your own place)

JoyZeeBoy said...

Thanks. And no thanks (wi-fi). I'm strictly a hard-wire kind of guy (less chance of people sweeping for passwords, ssns, etc., that way).

As for the search, well, God keeps throwing opportunities my way. After my 12-Step meeting this morning a young woman I know asked me for some legal advice, but I told her that I was just a secretary, not a lawyer. Then it came out that she's looking to sell her place... a condo in the same development as "paint-job", only it's not overlooking the swimming pool AND it was totally rebuilt two years ago (same price range)!

I'm going by to look at it after work tomorrow night!