Saturday, March 10, 2007

You call this "dating?"


I have a "date" today, only neither of us is using the "d" word to describe what it is that we're doing.


My friends all think it's "dating", so I guess it is. I just don't want to jinx it by calling it that. As far as I'm concerned it's just two gay guys going into Manhattan to see a show then have dinner at a quaint little French bistro I just adore on the West Side called "Chez Napoleon." (My friend Bev will instantly attest to the quaintness of this place, since I once dragged her and Walt there, too... only that wasn't a "date", but I'm stalling, aren't I?)


Oh, alright, if two gay guys are going to be dining at a quaint little bistro AND seeing an off-Broadway show together (it's "Bill W. and Doctor Bob", about the two founders of Alcoholics Anonymous, which, by the way, has no opinion about this show, but the NYTimes critic did, and she loved it) and, I'm stalling again, aren't I?


OKAY, IT'S A "DATE"! THERE. SATISFIED NOW???!!!


Sheesh.


My friend Rosemary practically beat the crap out of me yesterday morning until I admitted that it was a "date." So why am I still putting quote marks around it? Am I that afraid?


YES.


This is so stupid. It's just dinner and a show with somebody I really like, have known for at least 8 years (I met him not long after I got sober), and somebody who's a lot of fun to be around and who makes me happy and feel good inside and ....


Would it be okay to refer to him as "My Activity Partner"?
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

chuckle. You're so cute.

JoyZeeBoy said...

(blush).

We had a good time. We were both stuffy and had runny noses. Allergies were kicking both of our asses. We ran into some people we both knew at the theater. He loved "The Ladies." We yakked a lot.

He wants to do it again. So do I.