Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So, what's new?

I'm back. Yeah, I know, whoop-di-goddamned-do.

I forgot to send my gut pix to the office, where I'm currently goofing off instead of working. So you'll have to wait for those.

The surgery didn't go horribly awry, although there were "complications." Enough complications for them to have shot me up with 4 units of blood, kept me in the hospital for two additional days, and to have filled me with bag after bag of saline solution.

When I was discharged on Friday August 15th I spent the first week at home just trying to void myself through whatever outlet was handy of the gallons of salt water they'd inflated me with.

I remember watching Michael Phelps (endlessly) while I was in the hospital. Every time I came out of yet another coma there he was, slithering through the water like a water snake. Swimmers have the oddest bodies.

Then, after I'd had a week to adjust to reality, the conventions started. Initially I was kind of surprised by Barack's choice of Joe Biden (from my home state of Delaware). But upon reflection he seemed the best choice if Senator Obama hoped to deflect Republican criticism of his LACK OF EXPERIENCE IN FOREIGN AFFAIRS, which seemed likely given the fact that the GOP had been doing just that for months.

Then, of course, the Gay Old Party turned right around and picked the most unqualified person, male or female, to have run for the vice presidency since Spiro Agnew (another state governor who eventually wound up in prison -- which, with any luck, started a trend.)

And that brings us up to date on external affairs.

Now, as to the surgery.

I have lost nearly 40 pounds in 4 weeks. I've had to have additional holes punched in some belts, and to have some inches of webbing removed from others. I'm not quite down to the next size in pants (although all my workmakes insist that I am). I can eat (if you call "drinking" "eating") about 4 ounces at a clip. For a real treat I've started having 2.5 ounces of tuna at lunch (1 6 oz. can of tuna packed in water mixed with 2 heaping tablespoons of low-fat mayo) this week.

I can button the collar buttons on my shirts again. The weight loss began, as it always does, with the face and the ass. While not exactly gaunt, my face is decidedly less "jolly" than it had been. My formerly well-padded behind no longer exists. It's actually painful to sit in the same position for any length of time. Our office ops manager is ordering a pillow for me to sit on.

My first day back at work was Monday of this week. By Tuesday morning my feet were killing me. I hadn't worn dress shoes in a month, only deck shoes. The streets of New York didn't help matters.

Despite the initial complications (and week of hourly trips to the can), I have no regrets. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, and finally there's this.

My diabetes is resolved. I've been off all medicines since the day before my surgery. My blood sugar (which I continue to monitor daily) has dropped completely back to the "normal" range of 90-110.

I feel wonderful.

11 comments:

cd0103 said...

That is so exciting!! Congrats on the normal blood sugar!

JoyZeeBoy said...

Thanks! Believe me, it's a relief. I did NOT want to wind up like so many of my great aunts, who wound up either blind or footless in their old ages.

Now if only my feet and butt would quit bitchin' at me....

Bev Sykes said...

Congratulations on things getting back to your new normal. Can't wait for a photo. The idea of that procedure terrifies me, even though I know it would help a lot. You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.

(addendum: I just found out that my grandfather, who had both of his legs amputated, had diabetes. Duhhh. Nobody ever told me that before)

JoyZeeBoy said...

I'll try to remember to post some pix tonight. You've already seen the thumbnail versions in my post to our list group, but I'll post the original, "embiggened", versions here.

For a full shot of me, though, I think I'll get a friend to take one of me this weekend. It's time for our 2nd annual "Roundup" in New Jersey and I'm hoping to unveil the new and improved JoyZeeBoy before a crowd of recovering gay people then.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. It sounds like it was no cakewalk, though. I'm looking forward to the "new look."

Yes indeed, swimmers do have unusual bodies. I gave birth to a swimmer many years ago,- it only took him 47 minutes from the first labor cramp to get out! :-) Sixteen years later, in 1986, he set a record that still stands at his high school. (I'll give you two guesses as to which one of my sons is the swimmer, if you want to take a peek at my xanga blog, lol!)

JoyZeeBoy said...

~ sil,

What are you doing up at this HP-awful hour of the morning?

I did as you suggested (for I ALWAYS follow suggestions --- when all else fails) and checked out your blog. I'd say that the older, physical therapist, son is the swimmer.

I have a 50/50 chance of being right. Was I?

Thanks for the good wishes. Right now my biggest problem seems to be muscle deterioration (lack of protein) with accompanying aches and pains.

I feel sorry that you have to travel so far to get to meetings. I sometimes feel guilty about thumbing through my NYC meeting book which lists about 2,000 meetings every week.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making the descision to become the healthiest person you can be!
Having been thru it myself I know your in for some great/challenging times ahead.
Focus on the positives and you'll do great!
No more diabetes, FABULOUS!
Wendy/Maine

JoyZeeBoy said...

Thanks, Wendy! I feel a little better every day, and I'm still learning what's edible and what's not, but I'm looking forward to a newer, svelter, healthier me.

Anonymous said...

I found you through Nofo, because the comment you left about popcorn hit close to home. I have bariatric surgery the day after tomorrow --- R/Y. Do you mind if I ask what you had?

Simon

Anonymous said...

sorry I am SOOO late catching up with your news, but congratulations hon. Ron's friend David has lost a ton of weight and looks and feels great.

And although I do have type 2 diabetes, it is mostly controlled with metformin and I am not overweight enough to be a candidate for the surgery.

so good to see you back

JoyZeeBoy said...

Keerist, I'm a bad blogger! I totally missed the comments posted by Simon and Alan! If you're looking, I'm sorry about that guys!

Simon, I had a Roux en Y bypass, not the lapband. I needed the "quick-fix" for the diabetes and was willing to put up with the radical surgery in order to get it.

Alan, you love-bunny you, you don't have to be morbidly obese in order to qualify for the surgery -- being moderately overweight and diabetic (and if you have sleep apnea, that'll help) are all added qualifiers for getting it done.

Of course, you have to be prepared for the lifetime of radically altered diet that follows (protein, veggies and then, if there's any room left, carbs).