Thursday, August 07, 2008

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

It is done. As of 3:00 p.m. yesterday afternoon I got final approval for my upcoming bariatric surgery from my cardiology group (after much drama - theirs, not mine) and the insurance carrier. I'm scheduled for surgery this coming Monday, August 11th (time TBA).

Yesterday morning was spent having my pre-admission work done at the hospital. I'm now tagged like a bull walrus, with various colored wrist-bands indicating that I've been x-rayed, peed into a lab vial and had a quart or two of blood drawn.

On Tuesday I had my final "go-see" with the surgeon. He said that the next time I saw him he'd be in scrubs. To which I added, "and some amateur from anesthesiology will be trying to put in an A-line, with no luck, and blood'll be spraying all over the staging area."

He looked kind of freaked out and asked me why I thought that? "Because, " I said, "that's what happened the LAST time I had surgery."

I've been cut up so much in the last 4 years that I'm a) an old hand at it and b) pretty cynical about the whole affair.

Still, I have confidence in him. Him being my surgeon.

Everyone has been taking great pains to stress just how much of a "lifestyle" change this is going to entail. Like they're asking me to turn straight or something. That, of course, simply will never happen.

But I do know a thing or two about lifestyle changes. I did, after all, forsake my best friend, and public enemy number one, alcohol 10 plus years ago. Changing the way I "think" is nothing new to me. I do it all the time. Now.

I'm back at work today and tomorrow and then... that's it.

FYI, I'm still computerless at home (who has time to fix or replace that?) If I'm bored on Saturday and I find I have money to burn, I'll try to get a new one, bring it home and set it up before I go into the hospital. Otherwise, if you have my phone numbers, call me late next week. Theoretically I should be home Wednesday afternoon.

The current plan, with my surgeon's blessing, is to be out of work for about a month, or up to six weeks if he so determines. THIS WORKS FOR ME!!! I love "recuperating."

And if you're so inclined, and you have a favorite deity or higher power you talk to, please put in a good word for me next Monday morning, will ya?

I'd really appreciate it.

7 comments:

tiff said...

Done.

Havea cupla friends who did excellenty after their procedures. I hope the same for you.

JoyZeeBoy said...

Thanks, Tiff.

Anonymous said...

I'll put in a good word for you with the Big Boss. [B.B. is actually my service sponsor's H.P., but I like to think of all the H.P.s as disguises so G*d can remain anonymous.]

Hugs from Asia,
~ Sil

JoyZeeBoy said...

Thanks, Sil. HP, BB, whatever. There is a G*d, and I'm not Her.

The die is cast. I'm due at the hospital tomorrow morning at 8:45 a.m. (EDT) and the surgery is to start at 10:15 a.m.

Bring on the lifestyle changes! I'm used to 'em by now.

I'll see you on the flip side.

Steve Schalchlin said...

I didn't realize you were having surgery. I do hope it turns out well.

Anonymous said...

Sure hope all is well with you! I'm assuming that you are still computerless, but you know what "assume" can do, lol.

Hugs from across the big pond,
~ Sil

JoyZeeBoy said...

Hi Sil! No, I'm not computerless at home anymore but I was out of town for the last couple of days, soaking up the country atmosphere of the extreme northeasternmost fork of Long Island. Friends of mine have a weekend house out there which they kindly lent to me while they're off galavanting around San Francisco.

But I'm home now and as soon as I upload some more pictures to my new PC I'll post pictures of my new gut (now down 30 pounds from 3 weeks ago).

Despite some initial complications I'm delighted with the outcome of my surgery and would happily sign up for it again.