Sunday, September 24, 2006

Best Week Ever

I didn't win the lottery. I didn't get a new job, or a big raise. I didn't fall in love (although I did come to realize that there are several likely candidates in my life, if I choose to pursue them).

Nah, there was nothing earth-shattering at all about my week. But it was my Best Week Ever.

Because

I woke up every morning feeling refreshed from a good night's sleep.
I have a job I enjoy.
I get to see a bunch of people whom I love and care about every morning before I get to that job (okay, they're my "home group").
I have a terrific boss (who's a little spacey at times).
I have friends and family who love me and care about me (and whom I love and care about in return).
I have clothes on my back, food in my stomach and a roof over my head.
I have a bodacious auto with a totally awesome sound system.

Because I'm sober. And without that I could kiss all the other stuff goodbye.

Oh, it wasn't a perfectly wonderful week. Not everything went my way, or smoothly. There were hiccups all along the way. But I didn't overreact to the "life stuff" that happened. I didn't create any "drama" where drama was uncalled for. I didn't engage in any "poor me" thinking because of the traffic jams that affected everybody in Manhattan last week. I'm not that important. The UN does not lie in bed at night thinking of ways to ruin MY day.

Ever since I stopped waiting for the "other shoe to drop" in my life, and started being grateful for all the wonderful things I have (just for today), life has gotten wonderful.

Suffering, it turns out, is optional. Oh, pain is inevitable, but suffering is definitely optional.

Thank goodness I found that out.

When I refuse to suffer, it turns out that I can have the Best Week Ever.

I think I'm going to try to have another one, again, this week!

1 comment:

Bev Sykes said...

What a great way to look at life!